Thursday, 14 July 2011

Leggings Are Not An Acceptable Substitute for Pants

Leggings are not an acceptable substitute for pants. Period. End of story.

I don't understand where this horrendous fashion trend originated, or how or why it started, and more importantly, why it has persisted in being a bane to the fashion world. I will freely admit that yes, I wear leggings sometimes. I wear them to yoga, or pilates, or when I go for a run. But let me make one thing clear, you will NEVER (and yes, I am speaking in absolutes) see me wearing leggings as a substitute for pants. I am actually enraged when I see girls walking around in a pair of leggings with nothing more than a regular t-shirt. Nothing is worse than looking at some girls muffin top squeezed into something that is not supposed to be pants. It's quite disgusting actually. If anything, leggings can be used as an acceptable substitute for tights, or if you are wearing an obscenely short skirt and need something to keep you decent (Brittany Spears would have been wise to heed this advice not so long ago).

The only time that leggings are acceptable is if your shirt covers your ass. If it does, and if your leggings are thick enough that I can't see your skin/underwear through them, then by all means, wear them. If not, stay far far away from leggings. If you do persist in wearing leggings as pants, I will judge you, and I will judge you hard. It's like Beau Brummel once said: "If people turn to look at you on the street, you are not well dressed". Please remember this.

I am fully aware of another trend known as jeggings. Legging jeans. If they look like they could be legit skinny jeans, and again, if your shirt covers your ass, wear them. If they look like regular leggings that have been printed to look like denim, don't wear them! And more importantly, if your jeggings are acid washed, throw them away! Don't inflict that kind of torture on the retinas of the unsuspecting public. No one will thank you for it, and I highly doubt anyone will come up to you and tell you look good, because you don't. You look like a washed up 80's rocker, who is still trying to live the dream.

So, for the sake of my sanity, eyesight, and those who are subjected to my endless railing against leggings,  please stop wearing leggings as pants. Next time you are tempted to leave your house in a pair of leggings, stop and think to yourself, "is this really a good life choice?". The answer will ALWAYS be no. No, it is not a good life choice.

xoxo
Leah

6 comments:

  1. Dearest Leah, are these words of wisdom applicable to your gentlemen readers as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Rish,

    My words of wisdom transcend gender. So, next time you leave the house in leggings, I would most definitely think twice.

    xoxo
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  3. But I love my acid wash jeggings!!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I whole-heartedly agree! Also, it is important to note that jeggings are likely a bad option, because if you own them, you may have to say that travesty of a word aloud.

    -Other Leah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lamda_Beta,

    You make an extremely valid point! It is a terrible word!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are some people at my wife's workplace who should probably read this...

    ReplyDelete