Friday, 15 July 2011

No Right Now Does Not Mean No Forever

I was having a conversation with a good friend of mine, and she said something that struck me as being pretty profound. I highly value the things she has to say and despite the 30+ year age gap between us, her advice is always relevant and quite often exactly what I need to hear, even if I don't want to hear it. She told me, "Leah, just because God is saying no right now, does not mean He is saying no forever". This struck me because I realized that just because we might want something so badly right at this exact moment, doesn't mean that it would be the best thing. There are so many factors in life that either make or break something, and when something doesn't go your way, or have the outcome you wanted or hoped for, or still hope for, doesn't mean that it won't ever happen, or that something better and different won't come along.

I am the type of person who likes to know what is going to happen. I like to have multiple plans that will get me to where I feel like I need to be just in case one doesn't end up working. These contingency plans give me a sense of balance, a sense of control. But i realized that sometimes you have to give up your control. You have to take a step back and just let things happen organically, and know that eventually everything will be okay. I've had this epiphany at a time when I really needed it, with the help of my good friend, who's wisdom and patience I have come to rely on and appreciate more than she will ever know. And while I don't necessarily believe in the organization of religion, I do believe in God. I know that when you feel like your life is out of your control, rather than trying desperately to regain that sense of balance, that you just have to let it go, and know and trust that He will always be there to hold your hand and guide you to the path that you need to be at.

I am learning to let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment