Friday, 29 July 2011

Teen Mom: Why Making Good Life Choices Is Important


I love to watch bad television. The cheesy, fake, scripted, reality variety. I get so excited for new episodes of 16 and Pregnant, and Teen Mom. I just love watching the drama unfold. It's kind of like when you are driving and you see a really bad car accident, or a train that has derailed. You know that you should look away, you know that you shouldn't be obscenely curious, but you just can't help it. I think I love shows like Teen Mom and 16 and Pregnant because they show me that making the good(ish) life choices that I have made were pretty smart. Also, it makes me seriously question why anyone would want a baby before they are completely, 100% ready for one.

Despite being peddled as a "documentary", I know full well that it is reality TV and most definitely scripted. But that doesn't make me love it any less. It's not like I actually believe that Teen Mom and 16 and Pregnant are to be taken as serious pieces of tele-journalism, full of integrity. Let's get real. It's the entertainment factor and the drama that suck me in. I'm not saying that my life is without drama (although to be fair, it's mostly medical melodrama that I am plagued with), but where else can you see a girl, in a black out rage physically beat her baby daddy in real life? Where else can you see the twisted, intertwined webs of love and family life that is the fate of Catelynn and Tyler (Tyler's dad Butch, is married to Catelynn's mom April, making Catelyn and Tyler, who have been together for a long time, and who have a child together (who they gave up for adoption and if you see their lives, can you blame them?!) technically stepbrother and sister...also I am pretty sure that both Butch and April are drug addicts of some kind)? Where else can you see a mullet of epic proportions, in a ponytale no less, a large baby man with boobs bigger than my new government issue ones, and a controlling grandmother, who also beat her daughter?! If anyone knows of an alternative source, please let me know! It's for these simple reasons that I get sucked into shows like this. Someone once asked me (after he sat and watched not one, but two seasons of Teen Mom, and several episodes of 16 and Pregnant with me) why I, and I quote "wasted my time on such crap?!" He told me that I am too smart to waste brain cells on shows like this, and that may be true (it still remains to be seen), however, I told him it's because when I sit down to watch them, I get to turn off my brain. I get to not think (which doesn't happen often), aside from telling my heart to still pump blood, and my lungs to take in air. I can't even remember how I started watching. I think I sat down to watch an episode of something equally as trashy, and got mesmerized by a Teen Mom marathon. Before I knew it, I had been there for 4 hours. It's like I fell through the looking glass. I lost all sense of time and space, and the only thing that existed for me was the totally effed up relationships of 4 teenage couples, who were trying (and kind of failing) at raising children. It's like watching the blind leading the blinder.

The thing that makes me sad about watching Teen Mom and 16 and Pregnant are the girls. They are just kind of so pathetic. I get that they want to have a good healthy, stable family life for their kids, but it's always the same sob story. They think that their good for nothing loser boyfriend will change, and that having a baby will bring them closer together. In reality, the guys never change, and they end up giving their kids a broken home. Heck, some kids get taken away from their mothers and given to the grandparents (see Jenelle in Teen Mom 2 fight with her mom over custody of Jayce). While it makes me incredibly sad for both the children and their parents, it also makes me angry. Had I known that I could get paid $280,000 for one season, just for getting preggo at 16 maybe I wouldn't have made the good life choices that I did. Seriously, Amber makes that much money for one season. She doesn't have a degree, or a job, beats her baby daddy, screams at her kid, goes shopping and on vacation, and she makes a crap load of money. It makes me so mad! I have spent the better part of my adult life, educating myself, making good life choices, and giving back to my community, and I don't think I will see that kind of money for a really long (at least not until after I either become a history rock star (move over Paul Slack) or become a badass lawyer).

Yes I realize that I feed into the continuance of these shows by tuning in to watch the trainwreck occur every week, but like I said before, I just can't help myself, and at the end of the day, I always feels a little better about my life after the episode is done.

This song reminds of Teen Mom...except the girls are quite often the problem...

No comments:

Post a Comment