Wednesday, 17 August 2011

The Big C Part III: 100 Things That Make Me Happy

Quite some time ago, about a year and a half I would say, I was not in a good head space. I had just broken up with my boyfriend of the time, and I was still trying to figure out how to deal with my treatment, and a good friend was there for me and she gave me some excellent advice. She told me to make a list of all the things that made me happy, so that way when I was sad I could look at it and be reminded of all the things that are good in my life. So I did. I love to make lists anyway, but little did I know how much this list would help me. Whenever I am feeling bad or sad, or just need a pick me up, I refer to it. It was especially helpful to me as I moved througout my cancer treatment. Whenever I was fed up with visits to my doctors or to hospitals, I would look at the list before I left my house and would go over it in my head as I waited. Cancer has this tendency to suck any and all happiness from you. It has the ability to make even the most positive person negative. But, at the risk of sounding corny, the thing is that you can't be negative. You just can't. You need to constantly remind yourself of the the little things in life that will help you to keep going. Don't give up. Even the smallest things will help you regain your positivity. I am forever thankful to her for her advice. I don't think she knows exactly how much it has helped me and how much making this list actually meant to me, so thank you RB. I know that making a list has helped me, so I figured that I would share it. Perhaps it will motivate people to make their own list, perhaps it won't. Perhaps it will help people stumble upon their own happiness... Without further adieu, here it is,in no particular order:




1)History: 16th-18th Century Enlgish History
2)School
3)Loose Leaf Tea: the buttered rum flavor from David's Tea is my favourite
4)Watching trashy TV
5)Books: the smell of old books, and how new books sound when they are opened for the first time
6)Laughing until I cry
7)Doing nothing just because I can
8)Hot summer nights
9)Roadtrips and vacations
10)Tiger ice cream
11)Cupcakes with pink icing
12)People watching
13)Hanson and other music from my childhood
14)Pink nail polish
15)Driving in my car with the windows rolled down and the sunroof open listening to Penny and Me
16)Singing at the top of my lungs
17)Dancing in my underwear
18)My first cup of coffee in the morning
19)Playing soccer
20)Monty Python
21)Learning new things
22)Hello Kitty
23)The colour pink
24)The smell right after it rains
25)The first snowfall of the year
26)When all the leaves change colour for the fall
27)Ruffles
28)Polka Dots
29)My awesome slipper booties from New Zealand
30)Giant pink umbrellas
31)My i-Pod
32)Flowers: Gardenias, Hot Pink Gerbera Daisies, Orchids
33)Really big leafy trees
34)When people have laugh lines around their eyes. It shows that they are happy people
35)Patterned rubber boots
36)Exploring new cities
37)Giant thunderstorms
38)Finding things you thought you had lost forever
39)Jazz and Classical music: I love Gershwin, Debussy, and Stravinsky
40)Frank Sinatra
41)Old Movies: Breakfast at Tiffany's and Gone With the Wind are my favorites
42)Going to the Opera/Theatre: Carmen is my favorite opera
43)Musicals: I adore The Sound of Music
44)When old people hold hands
45)When babies laugh
46)The smell after the grass is cut
47)Finding new music/artists/bands
48)Tiffany jewelery
49)Leopard print
50)Sitting at home, curled up in a blanket, reading on a rainy day
51)My birthday
52)Hugs from my mum and dad
53)Laughing with my sister
54)Puppy breath
55)Getting letters/postcards in the mail
56)Watching my all time favorite movie: You've Got Mail
57)Comfortable silence
58)Cheese Pizza
59)The feeling you get in the pit of your stomach when the plane you are on lands
60)Getting unexpected gifts
61)Giving unexpected gifts
62)Finding money in your pockets
63)Getting a phone call from a friend you haven't heard from in a long time
64)Making people laugh
65)My work with the Alberta Cancer Foundation
66)Having conversations in really bad, fake accents
67)Napping
68)Anthropologie
69)My La Vanilla Vanilla Passionfruit perfume
70)Breakfast for dinner
71)Dessert for Breakfast
72)The way the air smells on Maui
73)London: I love that you can literally walk on history
74)Museums
75)Spending hours in a bookstore just browsing all the titles
76)Sweaters with thumb holes
77)Finding pictures of my parents when they were my age
78)Latin Poetry: Catullus is one of my favorites
79)My "History is Sexy" t-shirt
80)Peppermint/Vanilla lip balm
81)Babycakes Bakery
82)5¢ candy from 7-11
83)Pilates
84)Quotes
85)Ellipses...
86)Antiques
87)My bed with it's giant, blue, ruffled duvet cover and matching pillows
88)Meeting new people
89)Finding funny, random youtube videos
90)"That's what she said" moments
91)Fireworks
92)Seeing that my friends are happy
93)Lulu Lemon Athletica
94)TOMS: I love my sparkly silver ones!
95)Taking a bath with lavender epsom salts
96)Toast
97)New York: I love that there is always something to do
98)Color coding all my school notes
99)The BBC
100)Knowing that I am loved, that I have loved, have been loved, and that I can love again...

xoxo
Leah

2 comments:

  1. You rock! You are loved...have been loved.. and will love again because there is no one quite like you:-)

    ReplyDelete