Sunday, 28 August 2011

Wait, I Thought Games Were Supposed to Be Fun?!

What sick, twisted, sadistic bastard decided that there needed to be logic games on the LSAT? I spent the better part of my morning and early afternoon yesterday, sitting in a room with 8 other people, writing a practice LSAT. Did I mention that this was probably the first time any of us actually sat down and looked at an LSAT? Did I also mention that this was voluntary? Did I also mention that I paid an obscene amount of money to do this to myself? I must be a masochist because I can't think of any other reason why anyone would want to do that to themselves. After writing that practice LSAT and seeing how much work I am going to be putting into this, all I can say is well shit, see you all at Christmas. I'm serious. While doable, it was like i was running the mental gauntlet.

I have spent a significant amount of time over the past, oh I don't know, 6ish years of my university education running the academic gauntlet. I majored in history, and despite what many people think, history is no walk in the park. It's actually like being thrown into piranha infested waters. Almost every day, sycophantic history students compete with each for the attention and affections of their profs. We are consistently told that our ideas are not good enough, are too pedestrian, that our topics are silly, and our papers read like a stream of consciousness. Every historian and history student thinks that their area of interest is the best. I can honestly say that when I talk to a history student who does something outside of early modern England(roughly 1450-1750, but the best is the 16th century), I scoff, and mock them, because in my mind, 16th century English social policy is where it's at, and why anyone would want to study anything else is inconceivable. I have spent more hours than I can count researching and writing papers for classes. I have presented papers at conferences and have voluntarily taken paleography classes. I know what it means to put in the work, and I know what it takes to get good grades. But here's the thing. History is easy for me. Logic games, not so much. I like to do things that I am good at, that I know I can do well, and I don't like to struggle or be frustrated (it's counter productive to my health, sanity, and the safety of those around me). I can understand needing excellent logical reasoning, and solid reading comprehension skills, but logic games? Seriously, not cool. Not cool in any way, shape, or form.

This is the question I pose: why are they necessary!? In my personal opinion, I believe that they were put on this earth to cause me sorrow and torment. They make me cranky, and what makes me crankier is the fact that I am going to have to be best friends for life with them. They are not fun. I don't care what everyone says. They are yucky, and I hate them. Excuse me while I go pout.

xoxo
Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment