Friday, 16 September 2011

The Big C, Part VI: Pizza Cures Cancer

Last night I had the privilege of speaking at the 19th Annual Boston Pizza Charity Golf Classic. I love sharing my story at events, and I love it even more that people are always so kind and receptive to the words I have to say. I am so thankful that I have been given the chance to be part of something, part of a movement, that is bigger than myself. I am so proud that, even through my small part, I have been able to witness the kindness and generosity of so many people, who like myself, want to fight cancer in anyway they can. Last night was amazing. There were so many generous people, who were more than willing to share what they had to better the lives of others. Approximately $181, 000 was raised last night, benefiting not one, but five very deserving charities. Through the kindness of others, the Cross Cancer Institute can now afford to purchase a brand new PET scan machine, which will help in early dectetion, and will be 4 times as fast and considerably more accurate. It is because of the generosity of the people that I met last night, that I am able to be here today, to try and change the world. If I can reach and impact just one person in my life, then I will have led a very full and happy life indeed.

Sharing my story is something that I am more than happy to do. I know some people find it very difficult to talk of their experience with cancer. However, I know that I wish that there had been someone there, or the story of another young woman who was diagnosed with breast cancer, while I was going through it. It is because of this that I am so eager to share my experience. It is not because I want accolades, or to be treated differently. I don't believe that I am owed anything, I just want to help in any way that I can. I am a firm believer that writing down your feelings in a letter is very cathartic. It releases tension and stress and emotions. I am so full of emotions after last night, and I really felt as if I needed to get some things off my (new, government issue) chest. So, I wrote my very own letter to cancer. It is short, sweet, and concise, kind of like me. Here it is:

Dear Cancer,

I am officially standing up to you. You are now my bitch. I am going to make sure that one day you will die a horrible, firey death, with as much pain and sorrow, equal, if not greater, to what you have inflicted on so many innocent people. I am going to make sure that one day, you will cease to exist, and you will be nothing but a terrible memory, that people never think of. From this moment on, I am declaring war on you, and unlike Russia, you don't have the benefit of freezing winters, and a scorched earth policy.

Yours,
Leah

I really don't feel as if I need many words to articulate how I feel about cancer and what it is and can do. So, as a little experiment, I would like to know what you would say to cancer, if given the chance. If you could look it in the eye and tell it what you really feel about it.

When I was first diagnosed I relied heavily on music to get me through. One album in particular was 30 Seconds to Mar's This is War. I listened to that album over and over again. It just had so many songs that just encouraged me to be strong. It remains one of my favorite albums of all time. The song Vox Populi in particular helped me through. It's a battle song, a song to fight cancer with. Perhaps someone can draw strength from it like I did. Plus, Jared Leto is really good looking (when he looks normal that is).



xoxo
Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment