Monday, 5 September 2011

Muesday: More Evidence to Suggest that Universities are Slowly Sucking Out Our Souls

Dear U of A Bookstore,

I understand that you need to make a profit off of already starving and debt ridden university students, but is it really necessary to inflate the prices of textbooks that much? I mean, let's get real here for a moment. I understand that you probably pay for mass quantities of books at cost, and I understand that you need to make a profit, but why do you need to make them SO much more expensive than they are worth? Shame on you U of A bookstore!

I went to the University of Alberta bookstore yesterday, and not only was it crawling with first year students, who's sole purpose in life is to irritate the hell out of me (this is a post in and of itself, and will be posted soon), but I was dismayed to find that several of my text books were ridiculously expensive (although I wasn't that surprised). Mostly because I like to screw the U of A over in any way I can, because in turn, they ALWAYS screw me over, I flat out refused to buy my text books at the bookstore. I don't care if Dr. Gow wants us to have 8 text books for his Medieval Christendom and Others class (which I am really excited for by the by!), I am most certainly not going to pay $90 dollars for a textbook that we will probably read one chapter of. No, instead I am fighting the system. I went home and found them all, at reasonable prices (at least some of which were half as much as what the bookstore wanted) at amazon.ca. So here is a tip for all you first year university students out there: you will be able to find your textbooks elsewhere for much cheaper, leaving you with more cash in your pocket, which in turn means you won't have to live off of ramen noodles, and beg your parents to put cash in your account (or you can still beg them for money, and have that much more money to spend on shoes and other things). You should thank me for my wisdom. I await your praise and adoration. Also, wait until the first week of class is done before you buy your books. You will quickly find that although some Professors like to say that the books they select are required, really they aren't. I know that any class taught by a certain Eastern European history prof at the U of A, will in fact, not need the textbook, as almost all of his exam material comes from his lecture notes. In short, the less you do (and by less you do, I mean, not buying the books and getting the syllabus first) at the beginning, the bigger the pay off for you. It also means that you screw over the bookstore, which is something I am a big fan of.

In other news, seeing as how it's Muesday, I owe you all a song. My song selections often vary on how I am feeling. Lately, I have been listening to heavier, slightly screamy stuff, an homage to my 16 year old self (I may or may not have been one of those kids who had emo tendencies in my adolescent music choices, who developed slight hipster tendencies in my adult life, minus the love of cheap beer...you can be the judge of that). Thrice is always one of my go to bands when I need music like this. Last summer, I saw them live and it was honestly one of the BEST shows I have ever been to. The song I share with you has been played quite frequently on my ipod as of late. It's called The Weight, and I love the following lyrics:

"And come what may, I won't abandon you or leave you behind, because love is a loyalty sworn, not a burning for a moment. Come what may, I will be standing right here by your side, I won't run, away though the storm's getting worse and there's no end in sight".



Happy Muesday!

xoxo
Leah

P.S. If you are a nursing, science, engineering, law or med student, please ignore my above advice, as you are screwed. You need your text books, and an older edition simply won't do. Sorry, but I guess the world has a hate on for you.

2 comments:

  1. I hear you Leah, I hear you! One of my classes this year has required books that in total cost... wait for it... $250!!!! For 1 class! That brings my books around $500 for the semester. Oh, and that's the amazon price. U of a would probably be $750 + my kidney. And I need my kidney. you dig?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mirandasmunchies,

    Pretty sure you need at least one kidney, so I say, if you can make a decent buck off the other one, the black market is the way to go! Just make sure your surgeon is legit...

    Also, that is truly unfortunate about your books! If you need someone to do a bookstore heist with you, you know how to find me...

    ReplyDelete