Monday, 26 September 2011

Oh Coco Chanel, If Only You Were Still Around...

I love fashion as I have stated many times before. I don't pretend to be the most fashionable person around, and I prefer to dress in what flatters my tiny frame, and wear things that are comfortable. I know that there are countless sites and blogs out there dedicated to bringing the art of fashion and artful dressing, to people around the world. I have several friends who have blogs about how they dress, and who offer tips on how to pair things that one might not usually pair together. While I know that I am always well dressed, I am the first to admit that there are those out there who are even better dressed than myself, but I like to flatter myself and think that if needed, someone could rely on me for fashion advice. I like classic, simple pieces that can be paired with fun and flirty things. I like sparkles and glitter, but nothing over the top. I love ruffles, and polka dots, and bows. Silk blouses and shirts are a staple in my wardrobe along with cute sweaters and cardigans (one of my favorite cardigans is this bright marigold yellow merino wool gem that I found at Club Monaco about a million years ago, well, more like 2, but it's still a really long time. I love it because it's the colour of sunshine and happiness!). I like colours and patterns that add a certain je ne sais quoi to an outfit. I love to take my time shopping. I am one of those people who would rather spend extra money on something that is of better quality, that will fit me like a glove and will last me a long time. Shopping to me is like a sport, and I like to think that I would take first place in any competition. A sport for the leisure class (YES! I knew reading The Theory of the Leisure Class by Thorstein Veblen would one day come in handy! Next thing you know I will find a way to slip Foucault into a blog post! Prepare yourselves!). Few have truly witnessed me shopping, but I am told it's a site to behold. My one friend drove an hour and half with me just so I could go and get a pair of shoes (a gorgeous pair of yellow leather wedges from Anthropologie, that have already proved to be one of my better purchases!). That is true patience on his part.

As someone who is interested in both fashion and history, I absolutely adore when my two loves intertwine. I especially love the history of fashion. It's just so fascinating, as it quite often has undertones of economic and social regulation, as is the case with the wool and stocking trade in 16th century England and the ensuing Acts of Parliament in the form of Sumptuary legislation (also, I don't know why spellcheck won't recognize 'sumptuary' as being a real word, I can assure you that it is, which makes me smarter than spellcheck...yay?). But I won't get into that here, mostly because I think I am the only person in the world, aside from Joan Thirsk (if anyone wants a truly riveting read, I highly suggest you find yourself a copy of Economic Policy and Projects: Development of a Consumer Society, although, I do realize that probably no one is going to go out and read it, but you can't blame a girl for trying right?!) who finds that interesting. Anyway, I have lost myself in thoughts about history, yet again. I promise that the rest of this post will actually be something interesting. Where was I? Oh yes, fashion. The only thing, other than school, that I look forward to in the fall is the September Issue of Vogue. Granted, 3/4's of the magazine are ads, but that's the point. The ad's are what make the magazine! The ads give the eye candy. Sure there could be a great editorial spread, but at the end of the day, I am more likely to remember a specific Prada or Gucci of Louis Vuitton ad than the photographs.

But I think I have lost myself a little (which seems to be the case more often than not as of late). The point of this post was to share something wonderful that I found, that merges my love of history and fashion together. I have been meaning to share it for a while, so here it is.



xoxo
Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment