Sunday, 9 October 2011

I'm Not Expecting, That's Just My Thanksgiving Food Baby

It's Thanksgiving (at least for us Canadians). It's a time to sit back and reflect on what you are thankful for. I have a pretty long list, but first and foremost, I am thankful that at dinner tonight, there was not a single dish that had the potential to kill me.

I have a lot of allergies (I am basically allergic to life, and I should really be living in a bubble), and many of them are to certain foods. Nuts, soy, certain fruits, peas, seeds, etc. It really makes eating like a game of Russian Roulette and quite the adventure, if you like games that have the potential to make you violently ill for 2 days that leaves you wondering why your body has all of a sudden decided to hate you. It also doesn't help that I am a very picky eater (I am actually one of those people who don't like the foods to touch on their plate...I blame my minor OCD problem). I am not a fan of sauces, or fish, or things made with heavy cream (I think I am slightly lactose intolerant from this), or foods that I have never tried, or ones with names I can't pronounce. There is a reason why my diet is limited to toast, and coffee. I am also a vegetarian, but not for ethical reasons, but because I really don't enjoy the taste or the texture of meat. But, there are 3 times a year that I will voluntarily eat turkey/chicken (usually I am forced to because my mother tells me that I look anemic): Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter.

It's Thanksgiving, and my mother cooked dinner. It was superb, as usual, and again, I must reiterate that I am very thankful that I could eat everything on the table. I don't expect people to cater to my dietary needs, but sometimes my family has this unfortunate tendency of forgetting the things I can't eat. For example, my mum will make a lovely spinach salad with almonds and fruit and sunflower seeds, and all sorts of other delicious things, and forget that I can't eat it, and wonder why I don't like her cooking. Not true. I would eat it, and spend the rest of the night curled up in a ball on my bed. Because of my no meat eating habits, they try to get protein in me anyway they can. My mum has this ridiculous blender called a Vitamix, which I think is actually a Transformer, and she and my sister tried to kill me with it this one time, by making me a smoothie made with protein powder, which contained soy (which I am not only allergic to, but which also fucks around with my cancer medication). I spent the entire next day itchy and sick. I saw my sister at school and told her about my allergies. She played dumb, and later told me "Ya, you know how you were sick the other day. It was because we put protein powder in your smoothie. I didn't want to tell you because I thought you would be mad". Um, yes, yes I was mad. That is why I am so happy that this Thanksgiving was nut free, soy free, almost dairy free, and all around delicious. It was also awesome because I didn't have to set foot in the kitchen, which could have ended in disaster.

All in all it was a fabulous Thanksgiving filled with excellent food, good friends, and most importantly, pie. I now have a food baby that looks like I could legit be expecting. Probably not a good thing, but oh well. It was so worth it. Now I can look forward to pie for breakfast, and my mum's homemade turkey soup!

Happy Thanksgiving!

xoxo
Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment