Monday, 31 October 2011

Muesday: In Which My Ridiculous Obsession with Snowed In is Discussed

Anyone who knows me at least semi-well, knows that I LOVE Christmas! Today is November 1, which means that I am one step closer to the most glorious and wonderful time of the year. It also means that I can start listening to Christmas music without being judged too harshly, because I know for an absolute fact that there are people out there exactly like me. I just can't help it. Christmas is wonderful. I love the way everything looks, and smells, and how people are generally not assholes to each other because they have that Christmas spirit (at least until December 23, when people lose their minds and the ability to think rationally about anything because they have left all their Christmas shopping to the last possible second and are left with the reject leftover items to purchase...kind of like if you were shopping at Etsy). I also love it because my birthday is the week before Christmas, which usually means that my December is filled with many presents. But it's the Christmas music that brings me the greatest amounts of joy! November 1 is always the day that I go into my itunes, go to my Christmas Compilations playlist and check those little boxes that have been unchecked for quite some time. It's actually one of my favourite things to do. But, the most exciting part about it all is that I get to listen to Hanson's Christmas album, Snowed In. I remember being like 11 and getting this album for my birthday, at the height of my love for Hanson. I remember listening to it over and over and over again, just loving it. As I got older, I realized that my love for Hanson was slightly shameful, but I refused to bow down to peer pressure. Listening to Hanson Christmas is basically like the icing on the cake for me. I just love it. Basically what this whole post, or at least a substantial part of it, boils down to is my love for Hanson. Please feel free to judge me accordingly, because I won't notice or really care, because I will be too busy listening to the dulcet sounds of Zac, Taylor and Isaac singing O Holy Night and their rendition of Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree. I freely welcome your judgment.

But don't worry folks, I won't make you listen to Hanson Christmas (yet). It's still a little premature to share Christmas music over the interweb. I mostly think this because I am absolutely certain that my friends would stage a Hanson intervention, or a lynch mob would show up at my door, because I would inevitably be blamed for making it snow (snow happens people, deal with it) by inflicting Hanson on the masses. Today I am going to share another Canadian band with you. The Rural Alberta Advantage are from my home province, and are absolutely spectacular. I stumbled across them some time ago, and I promptly shared them with all my friends/anyone who has a shred of musical taste. I know that I have previously shared a song titled Edmonton, by Rose Cousins, but this is totally different, I promise. Edmonton, by The Rural Alberta Advantage, is an homage to my home town, and I think captures what Edmonton is perfectly. Also, it's true that if you stare at the lights at the Leg, everything is purple after. So enjoy Edmonton (I never thought I would actually say that...)!




Gone away again
From this Alberta pen
And I will never try
To forget your northern eyes

xoxo
Leah


2 comments:

  1. I am EXACTLY the same!! I ALSO checked all those little boxes on iTunes today! Christmas is one of my favourite times of year, and Christmas music is a big reason why! ...except for the Hanson thing, we are NOT on the same page there... but I'll let it slide. ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kait,

    I will convert you yet! Just you wait, a little wine, some good food, maybe some Arrested Development, and then BAM! Hanson will be playing and you will be singing along and you will LOVE it!

    You too will get joy out of their dulcet prepubescent voices!

    ReplyDelete