Monday, 3 October 2011

Muesday: There's a First Time for Everything

There's a first time for everything. I can't believe I am about to say this, but I think history has failed me. This has never happened before, and I am at a loss. Normally I have no problem finding what I want. But this time, it's different, and you know what would be super awesome? If there was actual, legit literature published on what I want to write my Medieval Christendom & Others paper on. That would be just so fantastic. Am I really asking too much of medieval scholars? I really don't think so. All I want to do is write on the material aspect of othering and persecution in Medieval England. Like forcing the poor to wear Badges, and making Lepers wear rags/ring bells, maybe some regulations of how prostitutes were allowed to dress (by making them live near the river and wear yellow veils), or the badging of other minority groups. It's not like I'm asking for the moon here! All I want are some solid secondary sources, which will in turn lead me to some juicy primary sources. Seriously, why can't it just be awesome like the early modern period? Why can't I have all my lovely statutes wrapped up in a nice, red leather bound book, or in a handy pdf version (seriously, the Statutes of the Realm between Henry VII and James VI & I are my favorite)? Hmmm?! Seriously. Anyone who does research of any kind will know what it's like to have a super badass, awesome paper topic, that is, dare I say, slightly on the original side, only to be thwarted by a lack of sources. I always knew there was a reason why I never dealt with the Medieval period! I always knew there was a reason I don't look at anything before 1450! Now, I am going to have to grasp at straws to find the information I want. I am either a genius for picking such a cool topic, or a fool because (and as I suspected) there is scant information on it. Sadface....It's like Simon Schama (my favourite British Bobble Headed man/art historian) once said:

"Historians are left forever chasing shadows, painfully aware of their inability ever to reconstruct a dead world in its completeness however thorough or revealing their documentation.... We are doomed to be forever hailing someone who has just gone around the corner and out of earshot."

I am going to pout about this a little more, or at least until I mine some of my sources, and hopefully I can find that little thread that will lead me down the right path. Until then, here is Muesday.

So, following in the vein of the last couple Muesday's here is another, amazing Canadian group. They are out of Vancouver and I am completely and utterly in love with them, even though they haven't really had anything new come out for quite some time (well, probably not that long...I think I am just impatient). This week, I give you Said the Whale. The song is called Love is Art/Sleep Through Fire, and it is probably one of my most favourite songs. I just love everything about it, the lyrics, the melody, everything. I know that they have been given air time, and have quite a substantial fan base, but honestly, it's not big enough. Enjoy.



xoxo
Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment