Tuesday, 8 November 2011

Muesday: Dear Santa, I Mean Rapture...

It's the Christmas season. You know how I can tell? I can tell by the simple fact that Halloween hadn't even passed and stores were putting all their Christmas stuff up. Not to mention Starbucks brought back a few of their beloved Christmas treats and drinks. When Starbucks does this, you know that the season is upon you. What this means is that I have started my wish list of things that I would like for my birthday/Christmas. I usually don't ask for much, but that's because I have expensive taste. I will freely admit that. It's because of this fact that I am very cognisant of what I put on my list, also because I know what items are reasonable to ask for. But this year, this year I have found something that I want badly enough that I am going to throw caution to the wind and throw my request out there! I would even give my other boob to get this item! It's basically the nerdiest thing in the whole entire world, but I honestly feel that my library and my life will never be complete without it! What is this amaze-balls gift I am asking for? I am asking for the full set of The Statutes of the Realm, Printed by Command of His Majesty, King George the Third, in 11 volumes. Did I mention that this 11 volume set is a bargain at $12, 975.00?! I know that this is entirely unrealistic, but a girl can dream right? Even if it's a completely nerdy, incredibly absurd dream that most people would find utterly strange. I just can't help myself sometimes. I let the nerd in me come out to play. I got excited when I saw inserts of some of the statutes, in Latin, in 14th century court script.  I feel like this is slightly shameful.

Alas, I somehow think that this will be a gift that will be perpetually stuck on my wish list forever, or at least until the Rapture happens, in which case, if I'm left on earth, I can just go to the J.A. Weir Law Library and the Rutherford at the U of A and take the whole set...and really any other book that I might want. Wait, this actually sounds like a not bad idea.




Speaking of the rapture, is anyone else as confused by this as I am?


I think I will stick to more attainable presents...like a puppy. Or a pygmy goat! Nevermind that I will probably die from an allergic reaction! In that event I'll go with a puppy, mostly because I know you can get hypoallergenic ones, and the last time I checked you can't get hypoallergenic goats, which is really too bad. How awesome would that be?! You could have a hypoallergenic pygmy goat! It'd be like a house hippo! But I digress, as usual. Again, these are probably not the most realistic gifts to be given. I need to start thinking less ridiculous and more realistic. But really, what do you expect, I'm a pretty ridiculous person. I'm going to get creative this year with my wish list, and by creative, I mean ask for outrageous things and see what I can get away with. I hope everyone else is working on badass lists!

This week, I was having a particularly craptastic Tuesday. It was not optimal, and not even the fresh cuts at Anthrolpologie cheered me up. It was terrible, until Courage by the Tragically Hip came up on my iPod. If I had to choose one word that I would try to live by for the rest of my life, it would be courage. Listening to the Tragically Hip reminds me of being little(r). It reminds me of driving around with my dad in the summer, with the windows rolled down, listening to the Tragically Hip, Black Sabbath (um, Perry Mason is amazing!), Pearl Jam, REM, etc, as loud as the speakers would go. The Tragically Hip are just one of those bands that always make me feel better. Their lives shows are amazing, and Gord Downie is a legit genius. I remember right before I was diagnosed I saw them live and they had this amazing light show when they played Giftshop (which you should go and download now, if you don't already have this amazing song!). So, because I had a rather awful Tuesday, and because I love Gord Downie and Rob Baker, you all get to listen to Courage by The Tragically Hip (who are also, Canadian). Enjoy!





xoxo
Leah

P.S. If anyone just so happens to have an extra copy of Alan Hunt's Governance of the Consuming Passions: A History of Sumptuary Law laying around and is looking to get rid of it, I know of someone (me) who would be more than willing to take it off your hands...

2 comments:

  1. Statues of the Realm? Good lord... Light reading much?
    Maybe you should stick to Cicero or Plato.
    Good luck on that list! :)

    Can't say I've ever heard of this group.
    You guys only seem to export the bad music south of the border. For example Celine, Loverboy, Simple Plan, Men Without Hats, Nickleback and Justin Bieber.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously!? You've never heard of The Tragically Hip?! They have been around for forever!!!

    But you do have a point. I've said it once, and I'll say it again, there needs to be a vaccine for Bieber fever. I also wouldn't be too upset if Nickleback decided to disappear (especially because they are from Alberta). You my friend, need to let an expert in Canadian music steer you towards to good bands! Lucky for you, I just so happen to be willing to share my knowledge!

    And the Statutes of the Realm is light reading! Nothing like repressive legislation against minority groups in the 13th century!

    Cheers,
    L

    ReplyDelete