Tuesday, 20 December 2011

Muesday: Being a Little Adult has Ruined Me

So, where did December go? I mean really? I am starting to think that my mother is right. When I was 20 she gave me a piece of advice. First she said you're halfway to 40 and then she said after 25 you slowly start to die. Jems, I know. Also, hilarious, especially if you know my mother. I have been 26 for 72 hours, and I think senility has started to set in. I mean, I don't have any recollection of where the time has gone. One minute I am having a complete and utter meltdown over the entire month of September, and the next thing I know it's freaking Christmas?! What. The. Hell. It's like I'm that chick from the song "Baby It's Cold Outside". One minute I am in complete control of my life, and the next thing you know I have no recollection of how I got here, the only exception is that I still have all of my major internal organs. You mean to tell me that I have been so wrapped up in all the things I do that I completely missed the past 2 and half months of my life? I don't like this, not one freaking bit. It only now occurs to me that Christmas is in, oh I don't know, 5 days. I haven't even wrapped presents yet, and I am not entirely sure if I have actually finished my Christmas shopping or not (you'd think it would be easy to figure out...not the case)! No, I have been too busy with papers and finals, and stress, and law school applications, that I seem to have completely missed my favourtie time of the year! This is truly sad. It also sounds a lot like whining, but whatever. 'Tis the season? Right? All I can say is that I am glad that I finally get a break. Maybe now I can actually sit back and enjoy the magic of Christmas, and do what I have been wanting to do all along: watch all those Christmas specials from when I was a kid.

Those Christmas specials will always have a special place in my heart, but I realized something, that kind of crushed my inner six year old. They aren't as good as I thought they were, and there are some pretty serious inconsistencies in several of the plot lines. Not necessarily something you worry about as a small child, but as a small adult, I can assure you that I noticed, and let me tell you, it saddens me. Mostly because I now realize how incredibly gullible I was a child, but also because I see those productions as a disservice to children everywhere! Case in point: instead of studying the Convention of Westminster in 1756 (basically England and Prussia screwed everyone over, and France and Austria became besties, and Russia was like "what the hell, why aren't I included in this mad party, and by mad party I mean convention?!" and then they all went to war for 7 years), I decided to watch A Flintstones Christmas, a classic in my opinion. But I noticed something. First of all, Santa would a) have to be like a bajillion years old, and b) I highly doubt neanderthals had the mental capacity to fully comprehend the notion of a jolly fat man in a red suit. Also, just going to throw this out there, but if you look at the cartoon, instead of being dressed like Fred, and Barney, and Wilma and Betty in what I can only assume are types of animal skins, Santa's suit is modern, like the kind you would see on a mall Santa, although probably with less sweat stains. I feel kind of robbed. What happened to consistency? Perhaps I am just a little too picky. It's entirely possible. But all I know is that adulthood has ruined it for me. This makes me sad.

Also, because it's Christmas, this muesday will be Christmas themed. I know this is everyone's favourite (and yes, that is sarcasm). I know a lot of people who have issues with Christmas music, which is one of the reasons as to why I haven't shared any Christmas music on my blog yet. But, seeing as how Christmas crept up on me, I figured what the hell. Not only am I going to share Christmas music with you, but I am going to share one of my all time FAVOURITE Christmas songs with you, from one of my all time FAVOURITE Christmas albums. Wait for it, wait for it...Hanson's Merry Christmas Baby, from (what is my favourite Christmas album of all time in the history of ever) Snowed In. Ya, I went there. Deal with it. Seriously. I remember being like 12 and getting this album for my birthday from my bestie and actually dying a little from happiness. No joke. I was that kid who loved Hanson. And I am not ashamed to admit that I still do. Best. Album. Ever. I welcome your judgment. You're just jealous of my awesome arsenal of music. Maybe.



Merry almost Christmas everyone!

xoxo
Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment