Sunday, 15 January 2012

The Bill Nye of Rock n' Roll. For Real.



Donnie Iris is like Bill Nye...the Bill Nye of rock and roll. Also, I think he needs to invest in orthodontics.

When I was little(r), my parents had a great system worked out. My mum would go to work during the day, and my dad would work nights. What this meant, was that I was either in the care of a nanny (which is really just a classier way of saying glorified babysitter...I can say this because for a stretch, I was a nanny, and let me tell you, looking after children for any extended periods of time is the best form of birth control), or, my dad would stay home with me. I wasn't the easiest of children. I never slept, and I always had to be entertained. My poor father would come home from work in the wee hours of the morning, and then have to spend the next 8-10 hours playing Barbies (or in my case Lady Lovely Locks and my little pony (before they got all creepy looking)), and watching Lady and the Tramp or the Secret of Nimh. Sometimes we would watch the really really old Star Trek...the one with William Shatner. But my favorite part of the day was always when he would start preparing dinner. We lived in this house somewhere on the North end of Edmonton, and while he cooked, he would put on some his old records. My favorite was Ah, Leah by Donnie Iris. Even then I had an inflated sense of self. Listening to it now, it's probably not the most appropriate song for a 3 1/2 year old to be listening to, but my dad has pretty awesome taste in music, so I am going to let that slide. To be perfectly honest, I had forgotten all about the song, until randomly it came on the radio. And now, I've had it stuck in my head for days. That and We Didn't Start the Fire by Billy Joel. Seriously, one of the crowning achievements of my life is the fact that I know every single word to that song, because to me it's a pretty big deal. It's right up there with getting published. Impressed? You should be. Sort of.

Anyway, my Sunday has been spent catching up on all the things that I forgot to do during the week, whilst listening to a bunch of oldies, and trying to make my dad okay with the fact that if I get into law school, I might be moving to the UK. Pretty good way to waste a Sunday if you ask me. I hope everyone had an awesome weekend. Also, if you're in Alberta, also known as Dante's forgotten frozen circle of hell, I sincerely hope that everyone is staying warm. Contrary to popular belief, frostbite and the ensuing bouts of gangrene aren't sexy. Stay warm friends.



xoxo
Leah

1 comment:

  1. I have been trying to memorize the lyrics to We Didn't Start the Fire for ages, AND I, too, may be moving to the UK. Weird.

    ReplyDelete