Tuesday, 17 January 2012

Muesday: My Great Great Grandparents Had No Idea They Were Settling on a Frozen Wasteland


We've been spoiled. The weather in Edmonton has been unseasonably warm this winter. Last week it was +13 celcius, and now it's -29, with a windchill, which means it feels like it's about minus a billion degrees outside (or -44, but really who's counting). I got complacent. I got used to wearing cute light jackets and ballet flats and TOMS. Now I have to bundle up before I go outside because it's cold enough to cause frostbite in 5-10 minutes. It's days like today, and actually the whole week, that remind me that I live in the asshole of the world. When my ancestors were given the choice of Alberta or California, they chose Alberta because they got more land. Land that is frozen and covered in snow for about 8 months out of the year. Land where you can't grow palm or orange trees. Let's take a second and think about which one would have been the better choice. If I could go back in time and tell them that by settling in Dante's forgotten frozen circle of hell, they are making future generations completely miserable for a substantial portion of the year, I would. I wouldn't even hesitate to threaten then with violence. Bad life choice great great grandparents, bad life choice.

It's days like today that make me yearn for when schools would close because it's too cold. That only happens in Alberta when it's -50 outside. Buses don't run, no one wants to go outside. I miss snow/cold days. Being in university means that snow days don't exist. The only time they exist is when you skip class, and that just leaves me with a sense of guilt. Walking around campus today was torture. Luckily, almost all my classes can be reached via pedway. Seriously, it's cold, and I hate it. This weather makes me want to cuddle up in front the fireplace, with my favourite blanket from Restoration Hardware, with a mug of pumpkin chai tea from David's Tea, and A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin. It's days like today that make me wish that I was a kept woman...kind of...a little bit.

Today I am giving you a fabulous duet between Jay Malinowski from the Canadian band Bedouin Soundclash, and Beatrice Martin, a French Canadian artist known as Couer de Pirate. They come together to create the dynamic duo of Armistice. Mission Bells is probably one of the top played songs on my iPod. I love the mariachi feel to it, and the chemistry between Malinowski and Martin. I love how the song is about missing someone and remembering. Also, I love her tattoos. I am kind of a sucker for really awesome sleeves. So, enjoy the awesome, old school, mariachi-esque tones of Mission Bells by Armistice.



Happy Muesday everyone! Stay warm! Remember losing limbs due to frostbite isn't sexy!

xoxo
Leah

4 comments:

  1. Here's what drives me crazy: most places in the world would shut down if it reached -37 (as it's suppose to tonight, sans windchill), but with Edmonton it's business as usual! Did you ever see the Day After Tomorrow with my future husband Jake Gyllenhaal, where the next ice age is coming and everyone dies who's exposed to the cold which basically most of north america is? Well if that was actually the case, Edmonton would still expect everyone to go about their business! God forbid if someone misses work/school because they freeze to death!!!!!
    -Miranda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miranda,

      I KNOW RIGHT! I have friends down in Texas and they told me that it snowed one time and all of Houston shut down for like 3 days...and from what they said, it wasn't even that cold! Also, Jake Gyllenhaal is gorgeous. Seriously. Also, I am pretty sure that they based that whole movie after Edmonton. Someone probably spent some time here in the winter and thought to themselves "This is exactly what it will feel like when the world ends and hell freezes over! This will make for an awesome movie!!".

      Stay warm friend, stay warm!

      L

      Delete
  2. The video is not available in my country, it read! How dare the youtube gods be this cruel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no way! Well, in that case, here is another link to this wonderful song! The internet gods are no match for my far superior google skills!

    http://vimeo.com/19587765

    Enjoy!

    Cheers,
    L

    ReplyDelete