Sunday, 26 February 2012

And The Oscar Goes To...

Hey, remember when the Oscars were about cinematic achievements and not about what people were wearing? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE watching the red carpet portion of the Oscars, seeing what all the celebrities are wearing, and wishing that I too could wear pretty pretty gowns and borrow a million dollars worth of diamonds from Tiffany's and Neil Lane. But the fact of the matter is, the Oscars aren't all about the fashion. That's what all the different fashion weeks are for. The Oscars are about celebrating the fact that there are people out there talented enough and innovative enough to create something that manages to entertain millions of people the world over. That's a bigger deal than putting on a Marchesa/Dior/Chanel/Balenciaga/Prada/Gucci/etc. gown and walking up and down a carpet outside on the verge of going into an epileptic fit because of all the flashbulbs. Although, I will say that there were some GORGEOUS gowns at this years awards.

Because of all the prettiness, I do have talk about some of my favourite red carpet looks. Can I first just say that George Clooney is the original Dr. McDreamy, and he certainly looked dreamy in that tux. Also, that navy suit worn by Tom Cruise, and the blue velvet tux by Christopher Plummer were simply dashing. I would also like to know how Tom Cruise managed to reverse the aging process. Was it just me, or did he look like he was about 19? I would also like to take a moment to give Angelina Jolie a small piece of advice: EAT A FREAKING CHEESE BURGER! Holy shit! Could her arms have been any skinnier? I am all for nice sculpted arms, but when they are that skinny, it's just gross. I really wanted to like Melissa McCarthy's dress, but there was something off about it. I think it was the nude, sheer flutter sleeves that made me not like this look. I think they made her arms look bigger than they really are. I also think it looks like she's going to take off sailing through the trees like a flying squirrel. Although, I will say that the beading at the neck and waist were exquisite. Octavia Spencer's dress was particularly stunning, and I was also really impressed with what Elie Saab has done with his dresses that showed up on the red carpet. I loved the mint number worn by Berenice Bejo, but I might be a little biased because I am obsessed with all the minty and pastel colours that are out for spring. And let's just take a minute to discuss one of my favourite leading ladies, Meryl Streep. Could she have looked more beautiful? That gold Lanvin dress was perfection on her, and I can only hope that my skin will look that good when I'm her age. Also, Jean Durjardin?! Le sigh! He's dreamy...and French. Accents are sexy.

But enough of my slight judgement, and on to what really matters. I was actually pleasantly surprised with how entertaining I found the Oscars this year. I did find that there were some awkward moments, and I could hardly understand what Billy Crystal was saying in his opening musical montage, but at least it was a step up from last year. While I adore Anne Hathaway, last years Oscars fell flat. I also really like that I wasn't constantly questioning if James Franco was baked out of his mind. How that man got a PhD is beyond me. But hey, who am I to judge. However, I was confused as to why Jennifer Lopez was there? Last time I checked, Maid in Manhattan wasn't nominated. Anyway, Hugo cleaned up, George Clooney was shafted, Christopher Plummer is the oldest Oscar winner ever, and Octavia Spencer was adorable in her acceptance speech, and an almost entirely silent film, in black and white no less, won best picture. Bret McKenzie won for best song, which I think is completely rad and also because I love Flight of the Conchords. I think it's so awesome that the winner for best foreign language film was from Iran, that the best director was french, along with best actor and that the winner for best documentary short was from Pakistan. But can I just say, why the hell didn't Bridesmaids win anything!? It was a HILARIOUS movie! All in all, while entertaining, another Oscar season has come and gone. Now I have to go and actually watch all these movies (or at least the ones that I haven't seen yet).

I leave you with this parting shot: where was the Oscar statue for the dog!? He was a true star!

xoxo
Leah

4 comments:

  1. Yes, George Clooney was the original Dr. McDreamy. There was something about that man in his role on E.R.
    I am convinced that a vampire saw Tom Cruise as Lestat and decided to turn him immortal. This is what is going on with that man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! You're right! He's totally reliving his Interview With A Vampire days! Either that, or he bought shares in Botox. On another note, that's a great movie!

      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this excellent & thoughtful post, so full of ideas that I have printed it out so i can read again

    Lakhani Fabrics

    ReplyDelete