Saturday, 18 February 2012

I Got Sucked In By The Sparkles

So, my dad came home yesterday all excited about his most recent movie purchase. No, it wasn't an awesome action movie with lots of explosions and gratuitous violence, or a classic movie that he hasn't seen in forever. It was Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part I. It happened. It's like he's a thirteen year old girl. He gets legitimately excited about Twilight. The next thing you know, he'll declare whether he's for Team Edward or Team Jacob. Also, I'm a little ashamed that I know the difference between the two. This was just a typical Friday night with my adolescent parents. I blame my inexplicable love of trashy television and movies on him. Twilight is like one of those train wrecks that you just can't tear your eyes away from, even though the grisly scene and common sense dictates that you should. Like every season of Teen Mom and Teen Mom 2, I have sat through all the Twilight movies, watching those sparkly bastards brood over their fate, and jacked up teenagers turn into wolves. I mean, if you want to watch a brooding vampire, at least go and look at Ian Somerhalder on The Vampire Diaries. He's nice to look at and doesn't sparkle like a douchebag. I will say this though, is any movie really complete without a wolf-man-vampire fight and baby-wolf-man love? I'm going with a solid NO. The Twilight Saga is just so ridiculous that I just can't help myself. I am pretty sure I got sucked in by the sparkles. We all know that I am powerless to resist anything that is even remotely shiny and glittery.

But, and I can't believe that I am actually going to say this, Twilight has one thing going for it, and that's the killer soundtracks that they bring out. There are some seriously awesome bands on the soundtracks. But it's a double edged sword because they bring out all the idiots who then jump on board with a band, just because a song was on the soundtrack. For example, when the first movie came out, the credits rolled to the tune of 15 Step by Radiohead. Awesome song, killer band. I just so happened to be on the bus on my way home from school and a couple teenage girls got on and started talking about this, and I quote, "awesome new band Radiohead". They "couldn't wait for their new album to come out!". The whole time they giggled as only annoying teenagers can. It took all of my resolve not to tell them that Radiohead has been around longer than they have been alive, and that 15 Step was not a new song (In Rainbows was out in 2007 thankyouverymuch). It's infuriating. And now I sound like a hipster...and an asshole. Go me.

Let's pretend this never happened.




xoxo
Leah

2 comments:

  1. I have tried to wacth Twilight, but I couldn't get past the first 30 minutes of the first film. I agree about the soundtracks. Beautiful songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Count yourself lucky! That means that you haven't wasted a substantial amount of time with bad acting, and a character that sets the woman's movement back by about 200 years.

      And again, I really think the soundtracks are wonderful! Some of the best bands I have discovered off of the soundtracks!

      xoxo

      Delete