Tuesday, 14 February 2012

Muesday: Let Me Shower You With Love and Affection


I won't lie, I'm not really that big of a fan of Valentine's Day. I just don't really see the point to it, not to mention the fact that I am confused as to how a day that celebrated the martyrdom of Saint Valentine came to be associated with little fat white babies with wings. Anyway, I see it as a pretty useless "holiday" (and I use that term in the loosest sense possible). I think it all stems from the fact that I think that you should show and tell people that you care about them and love them every day of the year. February 14th is just another day, and it shouldn't be that big of a deal. But it is. People go all out for Valentine's Day. Millions of flowers are sent, even more cards are purchased, and copious amounts of chocolates are consumed. All because people think that this one measly day of the year is the day that matters. Valentine's Day also bothers me because it's so commercialized. Instead of giving the person you are with/love/care about something from the heart, people are lazy and think that it's better to just go out and buy a card that probably a thousand other people will also get. Originality at its finest. Seriously, flowers are nice for about 3 days and then they die, chocolates will just make you feel gross about yourself, and for the most part, and unless it's from Tiffany's, the jewelery is cheap and tacky. I could care less about the gifts and the cards and the whole production of Valentine's Day. I can say with absolute certainty that the best gift in the world (at least for me) is time. In almost all my previous relationships the one thing that I have wanted was their time. Not flowers, not chocolates, and not anything remotely tangible. At the end of the day, all the material things won't matter because the memories that you make will last infinitely longer.

In past years, I have spent Valentine's Day bitterly lamenting being single (when I happened to be single). This Valentine's Day I am single again, but the key difference is that I'm perfectly okay with it. Sure I could waste my time hating Valentine's Day and everything that it represents, but in the end, it's just not worth it. That bitterness just eats you up inside, and quite frankly, I don't have time or room in my life for that. I am going to tell all the people that I care about that I love them, not just today, but every day of the year. I am going to be my own Valentine and do the things that I love to do. Sure it would be nice to have someone tell me they think I'm kind of cute and kind of awesome today, but if I don't think that about myself, them telling me won't make any difference at all.

So, for this extra special Valentine's Day edition of Muesday, I have put together a wonderful little loving playlist of my 50 favourite romantic(ish) songs for your enjoyment to share with the people that you love.

1. Say Hey (I Love You) by Michael Franti & Spearhead


2. Make You Feel My Love: Adele

3. All My Days: Alexi Murdoch

4. A Case of You: Joni Mitchell

5. Inevitable: Anberlin

6. You're The One That I Want: Angus & Julia Stone

7. Into the Dark: Ben Lee

8. First Day of My Life: Bright Eyes

9. Love At First Sight: The Brobecks

10. Penguin: Christina Perri

11. Forget Me Not: The Civil Wars

12. Worlds Collide: Mostar Driving Club


13. Two Lovers: The Rural Alberta Advantage

14. The Best Thing: Relient K

15. Shiver: Coldplay

16. The Blowers Daughter: Damien Rice

17. Stay Young, Go Dancing: Death Cab for Cutie

18. Endlessly: Duffy

19. I Miss You When You're Gone: Matthew Barber

20. Button for Punishment: Everybody Else

21. Something In Common: Free Energy

22. Saw You First: Givers

23. Something For You: Hannah Georgas

24. Love Somebody to Know: Hanson

25. Be My Baby: Hey Ocean!

26. Momentum: The Hush Sound

27. Eyes: Imperial Mammoth

28. Everybody: Ingrid Michaelson

29. Lulls: Jasmine Ash

30. A Beautiful Mess: Jason Mraz

31. Getcha Good: Jenn Grant


32. Little Bit of Love: Jon and Roy

33. We Mapped the World: Joy Williams

34. Merry Happy: Kate Nash

35. Sidecar: Kathleen Edwards

36. The Way To The Future: Katie Herzig

37. Video Games: Lana Del Rey

38. Falling In Love At A Coffee Shop: Landon Pigg

39. Who'd Have Known: Lily Allen

40. Instead: Madeleine Peyroux

41. Summer Angel: Minus the Bear

42. Little Thing Called Love: Misty Miller

43. Love Is Endless: MoZella

44. Turn Me On Again: Nerina Pallot

45. The Only Exception: Paramore


46. Shape of Love (feat. Boy & Bear): Passenger

47. Love Is Art/ Sleep Through Fire: Said the Whale

48. For You: Tin Sparrow

49. Heroes of the Sidewalk: Two Hours Traffic

50. Ours: The Bravery


Probably not your typical Valentine's Day mix, but I think it's pretty swell! Also, I'm pretty sure that I just saved some poor schmuck from having to think of their own songs for a Valentine's Day mix. You know what they say: Sharing is caring...or plagiarism. You're welcome.

I hope everyone had a lovely Valentine's Day filled with love and all good things!

Happy Valentine's Day

xoxo
Leah

2 comments:

  1. I wanted to spend tomorrow being angry at Valentine's Day, and every person who is hapily paired off, but now that I have read you blog, I can't. Damn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you had an awesome Valentine's day! I mean really, it's a day where it is completely acceptable to put yourself in a sugar coma. It doesn't get better than that!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete