Tuesday, 7 February 2012

Muesday: Putting the Fun in Funemployment

So, I'm funemployed. What's funemployment you ask? It's unemployment except more fun. It's fun because now I am actually happy. There was a period in time at the non-profit that I worked at where I was happy. And then came the time I wasn't, and to be quite frank, I'm pretty sure that I wasn't the only one who was/is unhappy. But there's no reason to dwell on it because at the end of the day, I am better off. So ya. Now I can do all the things that I haven't had time to do, like, oh I don't know, focus on school, learn French, read, watch the entire "History of Britain" by Simon Schama, clean up my various disasters, and learn how to cook. I think "learn how to cook" is going to be one of the first things I tackle, mostly because I realize that coming up pretty quickly here I will be finding out if and where I might be moving too, and when I get there I am going to have to focus on not dying of starvation. I have also come to the realization that funemployment might lose it's shiny, fun, newness rather quickly considering the damper it is going to put on my love of shopping and lovely things. There's that whole no income thing to deal with, but maybe this will be a good exercise in learning how to save and manage my money better. We'll see. There is also the strong possibility that I go completely and utterly bat shit crazy. I'm interested to see where this goes...

I have been absolutely OBSESSED with Lana de Rey's new album Born to Die. It's just the perfect mix of slow, old school, and alternative. I think my favourite song has got to be Radio. It's been on constant repeat and is my current favourite song to dance around to as I get dressed in the morning. That's not to say though that Born to Die hasn't garnered some controversy in the music world. It's one of those albums that you either love or hate. There's really no middle ground. Critics sneer at her "lackluster performance" on Saturday Night Live, while others applaud the New York native for her skillful mix of old Hollywood glam and melancholia. Really all you can do is at least give her album a chance. You might just be surprised at how good it actually is after a couple of listens. So, without further adieu, here is Radio by Lana Del Rey.



xoxo
Leah

5 comments:

  1. Hahah, awesome post. I was funemployed after graduating and it was a little bit of everything that you mentioned: learn a new language, bake things, read books FOR LEISURE (ohhh what a concept!!!), and all the other things that i never had time to do during university. On the other hand, that whole no-income thing (and no it did not teach me to be more frugal with my money), and at times would go bat shit crazy from cabin fever and lack of job prospects. but sounds like you won't be funemployed for much longer??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hopefully I can take this time and figure out my life! I have applied to about a billion different law schools so I will be in school for a while still. As for job prospects, I will probably just look for something for the summer...hopefully someone wants to hire a hard working history grad with her sights on law school!

      Also, the no shopping thing kind of blows, not gonna lie!

      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Why learn to cook when you can order take out? I am slowly transitioning to a raw food diet, which means that I will never have to cook again. Thank god. I'll just spend hours in the kitchen, putting bits of grass and dirt into blenders.

    Lana Del Rey is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mum tried to put my on a raw diet after that one time I had cancer. Let's just say that it didn't last. I like carbs and other delicious things too much. Plus, I have way too many allergies to limit myself even more!

      And I seriously don't know why she has been getting so much flack for her album! It's so good! I actually can't get enough!!

      Delete
    2. I tried going completely raw today and I failed. Yeah, it' snot for me. I will stick to vegan. Okay, I failed at that as well!

      Delete