Tuesday, 13 March 2012

Muesday: This One Time, at Band Camp

I was a band geek. I'm not really that ashamed to admit it. Make fun of me all you want. I really don't care. I love music and I love the fact that I can play a couple different instruments. It makes me feel better about the fact that I can't play the piano or the guitar. I gave up on piano at a young age because I hated my piano teacher. She was all like "you have to practice otherwise I'm not giving you this smelly/fuzzy/sparkly sticker". As a child who loved to collect, and who had an extensive sticker collection, that was the breaking point. Also, I like to be good at things right away, and the piano was not something I was very good at. But I more than made up for my lack of talent by being good at other things. I think the ability to play music is crucial to living. Band is actually something that I miss. I don't miss having to be at school at 730 in the morning Monday-Friday, or having to stay after school 3 days of the week for jazz band. Yes, I was in both concert band and jazz band. I'm an overachiever, what can I say, but then again, you already knew that. I can play the clarinet, both the alto and the tenor saxophone, the flute and the piccolo. What I miss are those moments, when after you've been practicing for a while, and after the conductor has yelled at you time and time again for screwing up the count or missing the key change or a triplet, that everything just comes together. It's that moment when you know that all those random notes that look like a giant mess on the page have finally been put together in the proper way and have created something beautiful. I miss that. I miss creating that music. To be honest, I haven't picked up any of my instruments since high school. I still have my flute, but the others are all gone. I couldn't give that one up, mostly because it's really pretty, and was really expensive. I also can't get rid of it because I think I have a hoarding problem, at least that what I tell myself after I watch all those shows on TLC. It sits in my closet with my sheet music and songbooks, and is probably super out of tune.

This is probably why I tend to have to have a soft spot for music that features the instruments that I can play. Like today's music selection. I know I have already shared a song by Hey Ocean! that featured Shad, but today, I share with you a track off of the their new/upcoming album. It's called Islands and it's just so relaxing and beautiful. The harmonies are just perfect and the flute makes me smile. So enjoy!



Sorry that this was short. It's that time of year when life gets very hectic and I don't get a lot of sleep. Have a wonderful week! Happy Muesday!

xoxo
Leah

3 comments:

  1. How does a flute get out of tune? Isn't it like a trumpet or any other brass instrument where the tune is up to how you blow on it (I know its a different type of mouthpiece, but you get my drift)? Perhaps I am tres ignorant, but since there are no strings or tension of any kind that could go loose, I bet you could pull it out of the closet and it would be good as new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, they do need to be tuned. It all depends on the crown and the tuning slide. It also probably needs a good tune up mostly because I haven't taken it out of the case in a good 6 or 7 years!

      xoxo

      Delete
  2. I always wanted to be in band, but I was too shy to do much of anything in school. During lunch, I would hide in the bathroom, and listen to Tori Amos.

    ReplyDelete