Tuesday, 3 April 2012

Muesday: Things From My Childhood That Might Be Inappropriate

I remember the first time I saw American Pie. I was 13 and in hindsight, it was probably one of the most hilarious moments of my life. Let me set the stage for you:

It's 1999, people are worried about Y2K and all their electronics blowing up. Cell phones were ginormous, and didn't really have the ability to send text messages, and a whole slew of awesome music from TLC, Britney Spears and Sugar Ray topped the billboard charts. One day, my family decided to go to a movie. American Pie had just been released and I wanted to see it but unfortunately, I was too young to see it by myself (not to mention at 13 I looked like I was about 8, so that kind of hindered things). So, my parents get the genius idea to go to American Pie...as a family. I was mortified. Here I was, sitting in a darkened theater with my 10 year old sister, and my 40 something parents, who are crying because they are laughing so hard. Just take a second and imagine how terrible this was for me. I had to sit there and watch Jim do unspeakable things to an apple pie, while sitting beside my parents. At the time, I just wanted to die from embarrassment, but now thinking back on it, that was probably one of the funniest moments of my life. It also shows me how cool my parents actually were/are. I don't really know of any other kids whose parents didn't really give them rules and a curfew, and who took them to see wildly inappropriate movies. And now that I'm older, all I want to do is go and see American Reunion with my family. It'd be like coming full circle, except I doubt I will be as embarrassed as I was when I was 13. Needless to say, I am super pumped about American Reunion! It has all the original cast members, and promises to be amazing!!!

So this past weekend, I went and saw Rose Cousin's live at The Haven Social Club here in Edmonton. She's this great singer/songwriter out of Halifax, and I have been a fan of her's for quite sometime. Actually come to think of it, I think the very first Muesday ever featured her song Edmonton. Anyway, the concert was amazing. Great company, and people watching galore along with great music was the recipe for the evening. Apart from listening to her beautiful voice sing songs off of her new album, I got to witness a man with an epic mullet slow clap to every single song, along with a really drunk old guy who decided that he wanted to have a private conversation with her, while she was on stage, AND a woman who was clearly not in the right frame of mind, swing around her discman...also, who still owns a discman?! Anyway, a good time was had by all. I was going to share with you a song off her new album called The Darkness, but in an epic battle with the internet, I couldn't find it share with you. Obviously, the internet won this battle, but I will eventually win the war. Instead, I am going to leave you hanging until such a time when I can find it and actually share it with you and instead share a lovely little song called Shiver by great French Canadian artist Caracol. She's really good and the whole album is just so chill. I can see many of the songs making it onto my upcoming summer playlist, which I might just share with you all because I am a generous person. So, enjoy!



Happy Muesday!

xoxo
Leah

P.S. I know it's a little late this evening but I have been one hot mess since I woke up yesterday and thought it was Sunday and completely didn't show up for work, and then my whole day was thrown off which threw off my whole week, so do forgive me for my tardiness...

2 comments:

  1. I am going to Google this American Reunion, and if you're lying to me, I won't recover for a long time. I love American Pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never lie to you! It's a real thing and it looks amazing!!! You have to go see it! It's out on Friday, so take some time off from all the family easter stuff and watch something mildly inappropriate! I know that's what I'm going to do!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete