Sunday, 8 April 2012

Nothing Says Easter Like Breaking the Law



Happy Easter everyone! I hope everyone has eaten themselves into a chocolate induced coma, that isn't helped by the copious amounts of turkey, pie, and other goodies that you've all ingested! I am sad to say that we didn't have turkey this easter...but we did have turkey tacos, and it doesn't get much better than that! Seriously, I don't eat meat often, but I make an exception for my mum's turkey tacos. It was the best Easter ever!

In the spirit of Easter and the forgiving of sins,I have some confessions to make: I'm a hoarder of the academic variety. When I write papers, I basically go to the Rutherford Library, and take out absolutely everything ever written and that's kind of similar to the topic I am choosing to write on. What this means is that I usually have about 50 different books checked out per class, per semester. It also means that I typically pay hefty library fines. But, in hoarding all these books I am covering my bases. I get to learn all the things, because in my opinion, you can never learn too much. Plus, all the information that I glean from these books sometimes comes in handy at parties...or when I'm playing trivial pursuit. But hoarding all these books also means that I go absolutely insane when someone else decides that they want that book too, and recalls it. I have purposely kept books before, and taken the fine, rather than return it. I am well aware that this makes me a giant asshole, and that I am basically screwing someone else over in the process, but I don't care. It's a dog eat dog world in academia, and if you don't get to a source first then you snooze you lose. I do have those odd times when I am nice and return the book, but those times are few and far between, and usually has me weighing the pros and cons of breaking about 15 different copyright laws, which is what I am doing as we speak (or at least as I type this). Why anyone else would want some obscurely titled book is beyond me! Don't they know that I had the idea first, and by rights, the book should therefore be mine?! Again, I have an academic hoarding problem, and it's one that I somehow don't think I am going to kick any time soon.

Basically, my love of knowledge and books has pushed me to become a felon. Next thing you know, I'll be writing blog posts in some seedy motel while on the lam and hiding from the police.

I'm going to make a great lawyer one day....

xoxo
Leah

2 comments:

  1. I've kept books I've checked out from the library before, because it was cheaper than buying them. My local library hates me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Nellie said. And some books you cannot even buy anymore, so really - what choice do you have?
    It's totally logical.

    ReplyDelete