Sunday, 6 May 2012

Being An Adult Is Overrated

I've decided that being and acting like a real, legit adult, is really cutting into my free time. I have a real person job now...kind of. Anyway, what this means is that by the time I fight rush hour traffic in the morning downtown, and then fight it again on the way home from work, I am utterly exhausted, and too tired to do many of the things that I love, like blogging and reading. All I have the energy for is to sit, and do jack shit, and maybe if I get an extra spurt of energy, paint my nails. What is this garbage? Aren't there perks that come with being and acting like a real adult? What are all these things called "responsibilities" that people keep talking about. If this is what the real world is like, I can honestly say, that I am more than happy to go and get another degree. The real world sucks. You are always a slave to the clock, you have to actually go out and talk to people and be nice to them and then you have to deal with all your personal shit afterward. It's exhausting! When I hear kids talking about how they can't wait to be an adult, I actually want to slap them. Kids don't know how good they've got it. All they have to worry about is who has a crush on who, who you're going to play with, and what park you are going to play at. They don't have to worry about bills, and work and other shit. If I could, I would go back and tell my 8 year old self to actually make the most of childhood, rather than wishing to get older.

I'm too tired to write more. My bed is calling my name before I start the vicious cycle of adulthood all over again tomorrow.

xoxo
Leah

6 comments:

  1. This is one of the ridiculous myths that people randomly propagate. There are some awesome things to being an adult, but it is mostly exhausting, soul sucking responsibility. Ok, so it's not that bad, but it sure does feel like it sometimes. I feel like smacking my kids every time they whine that they wish they could just grow up already and make their own decisions.

    Hang in there though. Life is what you make of it and I'm sure you'll find your stride and a balance soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I find a balance soon! And you described it perfectly: exhausting, soul sucking responsibility! I love it! Thanks a bunch Becky!

      Delete
  2. I am going through the same thing. It actually made me go into a weird depression. Being an adult sucks, but at least I can vote? buy alcohol? I don't know.

    But great blog, I can totally relate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being an adult is stressful! I can totally see how it would throw people into the depths of despair. Actually, just thinking about the fact that I am supposed to be a legit adult is throwing me into a tailspin. The perks are minimal at best. Sure you can vote, but half the time the candidates are idiots, and it's really more about chosing the devil you know than the devil you don't. As for alcohol, it can be your friend and your greatest enemy. I want to go back to being 8. I vote we all do that!

      Thanks for reading!

      xoxo

      Delete
  3. You have to be nice to people? What kind of bull poop is that? I've worked at the same place for far too long, which allows me to be rude to everyone. My boss has grown to love me, and will overlook a tantrum every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? But what they don't know is that I am secretly judging them and not being very nice in my head. I love throwing tantrums! I'm actually jealous!

      Delete