Friday, 22 June 2012

The Book Is Always Better. Also, People Are Idiots.




I used to work at this bookstore called Chapters. It's part of a chain of Canadian bookstores under the Indigo brand. For those of you who have never heard of Chapters, I also like to call it hell, except with more books. How can a place that is filled with books be hell you ask? Because of the people that would come in to buy the books. Working at a bookstore you have the nightmarish task of interacting with some of the world's stupidest people. Do you know how many times someone came up to me and said "Hi, I'm looking for a book"? No shit Sherlock. You're in a freaking bookstore, of course your looking for a book. If I had a nickle for every time someone asked me for help, but didn't know the title, or the author, but knew what colour the book kind of was ("Hi, I'm looking for a book and it's pink". I kid you not, this happened, and what's worse, I actually managed to find the book for them), I would be a freaking billionaire. Nothing is more frustrating than having to deal with idiots while having to be fake nice to them the same time. I am sure that by the time I was done working there, I was giving customers the look of death.

But, I think some of the most memorable momements and by memorable I mean moments of sheer stupidity that I have ever witnessed while working at Chapters was when people thought that old books were new books. It's just so mind boggling that people are THIS dumb! I don't know if anyone else remembers this, or if it's just me because it was always horrific, but Oprah used to do this thing called Oprah's Bookclub. Now, one month for her book club she chose Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. This book is not new. This book was written a really freaking long time ago (well, the mid to late 1870's...or 1877 to be exact). It is not new. However, because Oprah basically bastardizes everything she touches, and because people (cough, women, cough) think she's god, people couldn't get enough of it. I had so many people asking me for that "new book by someone named Leo Tolstoy". I actually think I did a face-palm the first time I heard that. They would also ask if he "had any new books on the way". My usual and quite snarky answer: Leo Tolstoy has been dead since 1910, so no. No he does not have any new books on the way.

It is experiences like this that made me realize that the majority of people are inherently stupid. That's not to say that I don't do and say some questionable/dumb things every once and a while, but I like to think that it occurs less frequently for me than for the vast majority of the population. So keep in mind the next time you go into a book store, to make sure you do your research and know the title, the author, and quite possibly, when it was published before asking for help. It will save people like me from doing you bodily harm.

But that's not the point of this post. The point of this post is directly related to Leo Tolstoy's Anna Karenina, as in, I'm really freaking excited for the screen adaptation of it coming out in September! Holy shit it looks amazing! I can't wait! Jude Law, Keira Knightly, Matthew MacFayden, and a whole slew of other awesome cast members will make this just fan-freaking-tastic. Also, speaking of book to film adaptations, keep your eyes peeled for Victor Hugo's classic Les Miserables coming out in December! If Anne Hathaway doesn't win an Academy Award for this, I don't know what else she can do.

At the end of the day though, remember that the book is ALWAYS better!







xoxo
Leah

4 comments:

  1. I haven't been able to stop cheering since I heard about the Les Misérables adaption. It is going to be so friggin awesome!!! Anna Karenina looks nice too - have never read the book, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the time, if I read the book, I can't watch the film. Did you ever watch "The Count of Monte Cristo"? It was horrible. I am still upset over that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that when I see film adaptations of the book I sit and pick it apart, finding all the things that are wrong and differ from the book. I do the same thing with historical film. Don't even get me started on Braveheart (what a terrible movie!).

      I have read and seen the Count of Monte Cristo, and let me tell you, they most certainly did not do justice to Alexander Dumas' classic! It was heartbreaking...for me anyway!

      Delete
  3. Nat,

    If you ever get the chance, read Anna Karenina. It looks rather daunting and can be a bit slow at the beginning, but believe me, it's worth it!

    And Les Mis! I can't wait! It's going to be so incredible!!!

    ReplyDelete