Monday, 11 June 2012

Muesday: I'm Confused as to Why You Like Me. I'm Not Complaining

Remember that time I was all like "Hey, things are awesome and lovely and I want to talk about them, but I can't becaues it's not the right time"? Ya well, I can talk about it now, sort of. But first, let's discuss the following (which will hopefully lead into what I can kind of talk about):

Can I just take a minute to discuss the whole concept of first dates? Is there anything more strange, awkward or stressful than a first date? I don't even think a thesis defense or presenting a paper at an academic conference would be as stressful. At least you have had tons of time to research and prepare and you have a general idea of the questions that the committee/panel might ask you. But first dates have the element of the unknown. I was talking to my good friend Rico, who told me that first dates are exciting. My response: an emphatic "no, no they're not". They are stressful, at least for someone like me who on a fairly regular basis, doesn't really have any idea what's going on around me. I kid you not. I once had no idea that I was on a legit date. I thought we were just friends, hanging out watching Star Wars (I had never seen them). I was very mistaken. So, not only do first dates require me to actually have to try and figure out if it's a real date, but it also means that I have to be on my best behaviour. This is a lot harder than you would think. I lack a filter. I say what I want, when I want. Tact and subtlety are not my forte. It's very difficult for me to remain on neutral subjects and to not have every second word be "shit" or "fuck" or "dammit". Also, I sometimes tend to forget that people often have no clue what I am talking about, and that they might not be up to date with current events, new literature and music or random things in general. Also, they tend to look at me funny when I use phrases like "it's better than a unicorn covered in chocolate and diamonds". It takes a lot of patience and gumption to want to date me, mostly because I am absolutely ridiculous. It's because of this that I wonder why people like me, and what would possess someone to actually ask me out. Thankfully, there is someone out there who does, and who doesn't mind that I inadvertantly insulted him the first time we met, and then proceeded to put my foot in my mouth (not literally of course, that's just unsanitary) all night. I think he maybe had some kind of fever that made him delirious/deaf to what I was saying. That's the only logical explaination I have as to why he wanted to go on a date with me. But I do have to give him mad props because it was a pretty awesome date (not the easiest accomplishment considering it was March and it was Edmonton. Also, I actually legitimately knew that it was a date and everything! Go me!), and have been seeing him ever since. He's pretty awesome, and doesn't mind when I say silly things, and he tries to make sure that I subsist on more than just tea and toast. Also, from here after he will be referred to as The Boy. He's also one of the reasons why I have been slacking on the whole blogging front (mostly because I wanted to talk about how awesome he is but the timing wasn't right, and I couldn't, so it was easier to just not...just in case), that and the fact that as soon as summer hits, my life goes into overdrive. But I'm honestly, not complaining because right now, my life is pretty awesome.

So don't worry lovelies, I will try to be better at writing things out for (hopefully) your enjoyment, and potential bemusement. But until I make good on that promise, I am going to get on with Muesday. Today, I am going to share with you Breath of Life by Florence + The Machine. Don't judge, but it's off the Snow White and the Huntsman soundtrack. The Boy and I went to see it this past weekend, and while I think the film could have been cut down by a good 20 minutes, it actually wasn't bad. Kristen Stewart did a decent job of not overly butchering her British accent, and Charlize Theron is too beautiful to be allowed, and makes one kick ass evil queen. But for me, the best part was when the credits were rolling and the dulcet tones of Flo and her machine started. It's an amazing song, almost a mix between No Light and Seven Devils off her last album Ceremonials. I hope you all enjoy it if you haven't listened to it yet. And if you have, you can listen to it some more.




Happy Muesday lovlies!

xoxo Leah

2 comments:

  1. I knew it, I did. I am very happy for you and that amazing heart of yours. It's beating wildly for a boy. Love is grand. Well, it's not present in my life. Love comes nowhere near me in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't you just the sweetest! Thanks friend! Just you wait, it's waiting for you right around the corner, in the summer, and it will attack you when you least expect it...kind of like that cannibal did to that guys face only less violent and probably without hallucinogenic drugs (too soon?)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete