Tuesday, 3 July 2012

Muesday: Storm's A Brewin




I don't know if many, if any, of you remember this, but a couple years ago, in a rare stroke of wit and brilliance, MTV produced a lovely little show called Clone High. Basically, the premise of the show is a board of shadowy government figures decided that they wanted to conduct a military experiment and clone famous dead people. You get the likes of Joan of Arc, Cleopatra, JFK, Gandhi, and a whole slew of other historical figures. When this show first came out I was ecstatic. As someone who from a very young age lived and breathed history for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and who did, and still laments the fact that history gets a bad rap for being only about dates and dead people, I felt that FINALLY, history could get it's place in the sun! I felt that while wildly entertaining and more than just slightly inappropriate, Clone High made history a little more accessible to people, and would perhaps pique someones interest to go and learn more.  It was amazing, and really, how could it not be, with the genius that is Will Forte from Saturday Night Live voicing the character of Abe Lincoln. My one friend and I watched it religiously. We could quote episodes word for word and laughed at all the little jokes most people aren't smart enough to understand. It was wonderful. And then, just like that, it was gone. Gone were the guest appearances by a street wraith that looked suspiciously like Mandy Moore, Marilyn Manson, Jack Black, and most importantly, John Stamos. Gone were the witty jokes, and teen angst. Gone were the musical numbers about how "Gandhi has ADD". I was crushed. My beloved Clone High was taken off the air because India got all up in arms about the way Gandhi was portrayed. I get it. I get that he's like THE saint of saints. I get that he basically threw off the shackles of colonial rule through peaceful resistance, and how he introduced a form of national dress made from khadi fabric, and brought the dhoti back in style. I get it. But why you gotta be hating on something that was intended for a North American audience? I mean, the US didn't even get to see the last 5 episodes, which is such a shame because Prom Night in the Meat Locker is a fantastic end to the series (it's exactly how it sounds folks).

So what prompts this post about a show that was on 10 years ago? Well for one thing, I really miss it and I am in a Clone High laugh until I cry kind of mood, and second of all, because it's raining, and I mean really raining. The rain reminds me of this one episode where there is this huge storm and Joan of Arc's adoptive blind elderly black clarinet playing father Toots says "Storm's a-brewing Joany!" and then Joan and Toots have to go live with Cleopatra and her alcoholic adoptive mother, who Toots then starts dating and there is bondage involved (I couldn't make this up even if I tried). That's what I think of when there is a storm. That's how big an impact Clone High has had on my life.

All of you should now run out and buy the one and only season that exists. 

I'd shake your hand, but you know, peanut arms! Now on to Muesday!

The long weekend has come and gone, and Canada turned 145 years old. Over the long weekend, I basically did what I said I was going to do: relax and not wear real pants. It was glorious. It also means that I listened to a lot of chill music, and rediscovered my love of Fleet Foxes. I listened to their last album probably 50 times over a three day span, and it was just the perfect music for the sun and summer. I'm still running on my Fleet Foxes high, so I am going to share with you all Lorelai off of Helplessness Blues. 



xoxo
Leah

4 comments:

  1. 1. I was just listening to Fleet Foxes on Spotify.

    2. Clone High was the greatest. I can't believe I forgot all about it. How dare I?

    3. The fact that it's been off the air for ten years depresses me. Has it really been that long?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has in fact been that long. It was out for the 2002-2003 season. It actually makes me feel really old that it's been off the air for so long.

      Also, Fleet Foxes are just the best! They are always on my summer playlist!!!

      I hope you had a happy fourth!

      Delete
  2. I love Clone High! My sister and I always quote it to each other and people look at us like we're crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you aren't crazy! It's perfectly acceptable!

      Delete