Tuesday, 7 August 2012

Muesday: Look At the Damn Camera!

I follow a lot of blogs, and the majority of them are fashion blogs. I love to see how creative people can get with their clothes and accessories, not to mention one of my good friends has a neat little blog about all the pretty things, along with this really great one (I can forgive her because she is amazing). But there is something that really bothers me about some of these blogs that I follow, and that's the fact that a lot of these girls never look at the damn camera. Oh, they look off into the distance with their red lipstick and hipter bangs and glasses, with their high waisted pants, and panama hats, and sometimes they get crazy and look down at their shoes, just to make sure that they're still there, but never at the camera. Oh. My. God. Would it kill you to actually look at the lense and smile?! I get that you want to be creative and artsy and look like someone with an expensive camera just stumbled across you, stylishly dressed and walking nonchalantly past this wall covered in graffiti. You think it's avant garde and chic but guess what, it's annoying! I don't need to see a million pictures of you grasping one lock of your hair, with your feet in a pigeon toed pose, wearing tights with your high waisted denim shorts (hey, the 80's called and wants it's mom jeans back). I'm not taking aim at anyone in particular here, but honestly, in a quest for individualism they actually all the look the same. If I could actually look at a picture and see your eyes, perhaps I wouldn't be so enraged when you look longingly off into the distance, or take another freaking picture of your generic Starbucks latte on Instagram, just so you can show off your cheap jewelry. Yes, I realize that there is a simple fix, that I could just not follow these blogs, but it's not that simple. I blame my inner optimist. Everytime I log in to see what's new with all the blogs I follow, I am cautiously optimistic, that today might actually be the day that I look at these fashion blogs, and that they will all be looking at the camera, making the outfits they are wearing actually nice because they are showing a bit of their personalities. I am almost always disappointed. Guess what ladies, you don't have access to sets, and world renowned photographers, and you aren't models, so stop being stupid. Look at the damn camera!

Now, enough crazy for a moment, and on to some music. I have a mad love for anything that incorporates the banjo, and bonus points for the mandolin and the fiddle. I just can't help myself. I think it goes hand in hand with my secret prairie girl shameful love of certain country songs. It's my inner hillbilly I guess. So because of this mad love, I am sharing with you all today Annabelle Lee by Sarah Jarosz. She is a prodigy on both the banjo and the mandolin and managed to take one of Edgar Allan Poe's great works and turn it into a great little song. I can't get enough of her album Follow Me Down, and I highly recommend it, especially if you love the banjo as much as I do.



Until next time lovelies!

xoxo
Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment