Sunday, 9 September 2012

A Mild Flirtation


 Vegan Pumpkin Spice Muffins!

I'm involved in a mild flirtation. Before you get your knickers in a knot, crying "for shame Leah! What about that awesome boyfriend of yours?!", let me set the record straight. I'm mildly flirting with veganism, and I'm contemplating making the switch to become a  full blown vegan. I haven't quite decided yet though, so I figured I'd start off small. You know, by doing some vegan baking, and cutting out as much dairy as possible. Baby steps. I do have to say though, that vegan baked goods are delicious! Ya, I see all those grossed out faces, but you're just going to have to trust me on that one. I love it. I became enamored with it a while a go when I was in New York and I discovered Babycakes NYC. It was like paradise! Nut free, (mostly) gluten free, dairy free and processed sugar free, so basically Leah Friendly. And it was all delicious. Actually Babycakes haunts my dreams. So needless to say I was ecstatic when I found out about the Babycakes cookbooks and finally decided to pick them up. And today, I decided to try them out. I made vegan pumpkin spice muffins, and for someone who is basically a walking domestic danger, they turned out pretty okay! More than Okay actually, at least according to my sister who is also flirting with veganism and who has actually cut out all dairy, who gave them a thumbs up. I then progressed to the vanilla cupcakes which, apart from red velvet, are pretty much my one of my favourite things in the whole world. They also turned out well, but the icing was a different story. I have never, NEVER, made anything so gross! I know if fucked up too, but I'm not sure where or how and it was just a disaster. I am an icing failure. It sounds like that would be kind of hard to do, but let me tell you it's not. Luckily for me, my mother came in and save the day. I think it's mostly because she was getting sick of her kitchen looking like a war zone, which happens every time I get delusions of grandeur and bake. Look at me and my kind of life skills! Gold star!

So, if you have any thoughts or advice or whatever on being vegan, do share! I like to thoroughly research things, so the more information I have the better!

Thanks for reading duckies!


xoxo
Leah

2 comments:

  1. Leah, I've been vegan for about 16 months now (food vegan, not no-leathers-no-feathers vegan) and there is NO going back for me. It was amazingly easy to give up meat, and considering my dad is a butcher and my father-in-law is a cattle farmer, I was pretty surprised. I was never much of a milk drinker, but cheese was hard and cream in my coffee was the toughest part.

    I started on this path after reading a couple books - The China Study by T. Colin Campbell and "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease" by Caldwell Esselstyn. Both books give copious amounts of evidence for a plant-based diet, and as someone who had a heart attack at 36 I thought I might want to try it out.

    So now, over a year later I love how I'm eating, have lost weight and more importantly on my last trip to the doctor I was given a clean bill of heart-health. Michelle has also become vegan, and the kidlets are 'flexitarian', which means that they are pretty much vegan at home, but if we are out or they go to a birthday party, they can eat whatever.

    Here are some websites you may want to check out:

    http://www.thechinastudy.com/
    http://www.heartattackproof.com/
    http://happyherbivore.com/

    If you ever want any more info about some resources for vegan cooking and such, let me know - good luck on your decision!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Reid, that's awesome! I'm impressed how you found making the switch so easily given your family :) I keep procrastinating reading the China Study because I have a feeling it will mean no more animal products for me either

    Leah - While I've tried going vegan, I found I still craved meat, or rather my body seemed to crave meat once in awhile (though perhaps it's because I failed to supplement B12..). While I admire the ideals and ethics of veganism, at this point in my life I'm not fully there yet - so I eat vegan at home, and like Mr. Reid's kids eat what I feel like when I'm out. This is an awesome way to transition into veganism too - which is where I'm still at now, I think!

    ReplyDelete