Tuesday, 4 September 2012

Muesday: The Last Vestiges of Summer

Not that I really have to tell anyone, unless you live under a rock or are a castaway and don't have access to a calendar, but it's now the beginning September. That means that summer is officially over. But you know what, I'm not entirely sad about that. I love the fall, and I just so happen to live in one of the most gorgeous cities for fall. The Edmonton River Valley turns all these gorgeous reds and oranges and yellows, with a few smatterings of green, as leaves try in vain to hold on to the last vestiges of summer. I don't even care that the weather gets colder, mostly because that means that I can break out all my cute winter clothes from the back of my closet. There is just something about the fall that makes me so happy. Chunky knit sweaters, the last days of walking around the downtown farmers market, with steaming cups of coffee, holding hands, with just a teasing of snow in the air. I just love it. My fall is promising to be amazing. Busy, but amazing. It's the first fall in as many years that I am not going back to school. It's so strange, and I don't know exactly how I feel about this. On the one hand, I am kind of excited to have time to do things that I like to do, instead of being a constant slave to my day planner. It will be nice to read for fun (even though most of what I read is still of the academic history variety (let's be serious, I could never take popular history seriously)), and it will be fun to travel a little bit without having to worry about not being able to finish an assignment. So really, taking a break is a good thing. And while I realize that it will only be a short break (I have plans of going back next fall), and that I am kind of excited, I am still sad though. I'm sad because I will miss the learning (I like to know and learn all the things), and being on campus and doing all the readings and all the discussions, and using my critical thinking skills. But, I really don't think that you can ever stop learning, and University will always be there. So, I will sit, and I will wait and will love it that much more when I go back.

Speaking of the last vestiges of summer, on Sunday, I went to Sonic Boom, which is this awesome, one day outdoor music festival in Edmonton. Despite the cold, windy and rainy weather it was amazing. I had so much fun. There was so much great music that it was a little ridiculous. MUTEMATH, Fun., The Joy Formidable, Young the Giant, and the Silversun Pickups all played before the piece de resistance that was Linkin Park, came on stage. I have liked Linkin Park since I was like 13, and the fact that they had never been to Edmonton before made it that much better. Although, I do have say, thank goodness The Boy came with me, otherwise I would have been crushed. He did a good job, along with this really nice giant of a man (he honestly had to be 7 feet tall) and his super nice girlfriend (who was also quite statuesque) of making sure I didn't die. This is not me being melodramatic either. He pushed people and made sure I didn't get kicked in the head by crowd surfers. He did ask me a couple of times if I would prefer moving, considering I was adamant that we be in the thick of things, and I know that if worse came to worse, he would have picked me up and physically removed me from any potentially dangerous sittuations. I still maintain that I could have held my own though. I did have to kick a man, and I most definitely utilized my elbows, which found homes in a couple of kidneys though. So despite the brutal weather weather, it was amazing! I bet you're all thinking that I'm going to share a Linkin Park track with you all for Muesday today, but you'd be wrong. While Linkin Park was amazing, I would have to say that my favourite show of the whole day was The Joy Formidable. They were so entertaining, and it was an added bonus that I have liked them for quite some time. Not to mention, for a three piece, they make A LOT of noise. And by noise, I mean so loud that I could feel the reverberations in my chest. Now that is what I call good music. Now, I could share with you one of their most popular songs, but I'm not. Sure Whirring is amazing, and let's not forget End Tapes that made it onto one of the Twilight Soundtracks (I hate Twilight, but I will admit that they put together a mean soundtrack), but neither of those songs would be my favourite. My favourite is this awesome little ditty called Cradle, and I was beyond excited when they played it Sunday. If you haven't heard of The Joy Formidable before now, all I have to say is for shame, and that you should probably go out and get their album as soon as possible!!!



I hope you all have a lovely week!

Until next time my loves!

xoxo
Leah

2 comments:

  1. It's so funny that you mentioned The Boy protecting you at the festival. Whenever I find myself at a concert or festival, I seek out someone taller to act as my bodyguard. I should just get a boyfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, they are rather handy to have around, especially when it comes to reaching things in very high places (The Boy is 6'3, and I'm 5'0 so it works out nicely).

    I do happen to know a couple financey types if you happen to be interested, and if you're willing to do a million mile long distance thing ahah!

    As always, thank you for reading! You're just the best!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete