Wednesday, 24 October 2012

Muesday: I'm Not Actually Asian, and I am Completely Unqualified for This

Can I go back on vacation? Holy potatoes Batman. Work is going to be insane from now until December. But I will also learn a lot, and it's really interesting. Oral Question Period during session is amazing! All the MLA's go after each other. It's like a political soap opera and I love it. Also kind of unnerving is the fact that's it's now day 2 of session at almost 9 a.m. and I am sitting in 315 (the office of Senior Parliamentary Counsel and Director of House Services) in the Legislature Building all by myself. Talk about feeling slightly panicked! What if someone needs something? What if someone wants to table shit? I can't do this! I don't do Bills and Journals...oh wait, for now I do. Good God!

Also interesting this morning: a man from Hong Kong walked into my office and we chatted for a bit and they he says "hey, where abouts in Asia are you from?". Um, excuse me? I'm not actually Asian. This cute little man legitimately thought that I was from somewhere in Asia, possibly Japan. That was...interesting...

Speaking of vacation, here's a little hint where The Boy and I went:




It was amazing! I loved it. I would highly recommend that everyone go! And dare I say, I think I may have liked it better than New York? Gasp, I know. It has all the big city charms of NYC, but it's cleaner and less manic, and the trains are nicer and don't have the same strong urine smell, and the people are just nicer. Not to mention the shopping. While in the long run I don't think it has better or more shopping per se, I do think that it gives NYC a run for its money. Michigan Avenue was awesome, as was State Street. Also awesome about Chicago: the pizza. I love pizza with all of my heart, well, actually I just really love melted cheese. Being lactose intolerant makes this torrid love affair very awkward and uncomfortable for both myself and those around me, but thanks to the invention of a lovely little lactose pill, I was able to enjoy proper Chicago deep dish pizza. It was glorious. The Boy is a foodie and wanted to eat at all these fancy/hipstery restaurants, which we did, but at the end of the day, I could have eaten pizza for 4 days straight and been perfectly okay with that. However, The Boy would have been less than impressed with that scenario, and he was very patient with my insatiable need to shop, so I indulged him. If you're ever in Chicago you have to eat at this great little place called The Purple Pig. Not a super great restaurant if you're a vegetarian like myself, but delicious and definitely worth breaking your dietary rules for. It was super tastey. Also good was Table 52. It was in this little converted carriage house of a giant run down mansion. Weird, but lovely. Plus, they had THE BEST biscuts I've ever tasted. I actually think I said screw the meal, I just wanna eat biscuts all night. The trip was sadly much too short, and like I said earlier, I wish I could go back on vacation. Oh well, this just means that I get to start planning my next getaway.

While I was in Chicago, I also had the opportunity to see both The XX and The Smashing Pumpkins (well really just Billy Corgan because he's the only original member) in concert. The Boy looks for any excuse to go see shows and Chicago was a great excuse. Both shows were amazing for different reasons. Smashing Pumpkins was great because they played their entire new album, a Bowie cover (I'll give 3 gold stars to whoever guesses which one they played) and about 11 old Pumpkins songs. It was also great because Billy got really really fat. I'm serious. His shirt didn't even cover his belly. I mean, I know it's been like a really long time, but come on Billy! There's no need to let yourself go! Get yourself to the gym! The XX were pretty good too, but holy hipster central. I've never seen so many hipsters all crammed into one room before. It was actually quite comical, but they probably thought that it was ironic. Fucking hipsters. Anyway, I am not going to share a Smashing Pumpkins song with you, nor am I going to share a song by The XX. No friends, today I am going to share a lovely little song called Home by Gabrielle Aplin, because as awesome as vacation is, being home is also pretty great. I really hope you all enjoy this one! It's one of my current favs!





Have a lovely Wednesday duckies! Until next time!

xoxo
Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment