Monday, 11 February 2013

Of Course a Bear with Chainsaw Hands is an Appropriate Way to Express My Feelings

I've never been one for Valentine's Day. I think it's a silly, pointless "holiday", and I don't really understand why people make such a big deal over it. I personally believe that we should tell and show the people we care about that we love them, every single day of the year, and not just one arbitrary day in the middle of February. Sure it's nice to get gifts, and believe me, I love getting presents, but wouldn't it be awesome to get a present on some random Tuesday, rather than something that someone was forced to buy because they wanted to fit in? But here's the rub, you almost feel obligated to get your significant other a present, otherwise you end up looking like an complete and utter asshole when they give you a present and you've got nothing for them.

Now, my Gentleman and I have briefly talked about Valentine's Day, and haven't really decided if we are going to celebrate or not. In past relationships I didn't do the whole V-Day thing. One guy I dated hated Valentine's Day so much that he actually got angry that I said "Happy Valentine's Day" (needless to say that didn't work out). At least with him I knew were I stood and I knew that I wouldn't have to get him a gift, but let's flash forward a couple year to now. My Gentleman is the bestI have expounded on several occasions. But the thing is, he is just cheesy enough to throw me a curve ball and actually do something on Valentine's Day. This is a problem for someone who doesn't deal well with surprises. So now I have this predicament. Do I risk not getting him something and looking like an even bigger asshole than I already am, or do I get him something and risk looking like a complete fool because he actually listened to me when I said I wasn't super pumped about Valentine's Day? In my eyes, it's a lose-lose situation. In the end, I wind up looking like a fool.

I think maybe I'll give thim this Valentine, because I think it accurately describes how I feel about him on any given day. Wish me luck?

 
 
xoxo
Leah
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Oh! Oh oh oh! I know this one! You get him a present. If he DOES do something Valentine-y, you have a present for him. If he DOESN'T, you save the present and give it to him om a random Tuesday. Problem solved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nat,

    Funny story. After I posted this, he called me and was wanting to just hang out and I totally forgot that it was Valentine's Day and I yelled at him. Then I realized my mistake, felt bad and bought him expensive beer. All in all, I think I didn't completely fail!

    And I like your solution. I'm going to keep that in my back pocket for a later date!

    xoxo
    L

    ReplyDelete