Friday, 17 May 2013

Being an Adult is Hard

I have the day off today, and I honestly have no idea what to do. It's really throwing me off. Sure the sleeping till 8 am thing was great, but now what do I do? The possibilities are endless, and therein lies the problem. There are some many things that I can do today, and things that I need to do today, but I don't know where to start or how to start. Perhaps it's because I don't know how to relax, and I've just been so busy at work lately that I don't know what not being busy feels like. Either way, I don't like this, not one bit.

Being a grown up is hard enough, and we all I know that it is a daily struggle for me. Do I have something healthy for dinner, or do I eat cereal? Do I go out and buy gas, or that new really cute shirt from Anthropologie? Do I sit on my ass all day watching reruns of Downton Abbey and catching up on Game of Thrones? Or do I sit here railing about the crimes of Hollywood writers who decide to be amateur historians (which I actually do in this post)? These decisions plague me every single day. Functioning in the real world is hard enough, and now I'm expect to do the complete opposite?! What is this garbage? You mean to tell me that after weeks of trying to be a functioning member of society, that I am just supposed to throw it all out the window on a day off? Madness I tell you. Complete madness.

Speaking of madness, the little Historian inside of me is enraged at the moment. Apparently The CW network has released the list of their fall shows. Normally I wouldn't really care about this because I don't watch The CW network. However, I feel compelled to talk about why I all of a sudden do care. I care because they are coming out with a show this fall called Reign. "So what?!", you say. Well, I'll tell you what! It's about Mary, Queen of Scots at age 15. This is a travesty. A complete and utterly horrible thing. I really want to know who came up with this idea. Mostly so they can be publicly shamed and made to feel like the idiot(s) they are. This just has bad news written all over it. From preliminary research into the show, it appears that a 15 year old Mary is leaving Scotland for France and looks nervous and she is about to embark on her marriage to Francis, who would later become Francis II, King of France. This is just so wrong on so many levels, and it physically hurts my brain and soul. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about getting people, especially young people, interested in History. But I am not for outright lies and taking creative liberties with history. Kids who watch this show are going to get the wrong impression of the 16th century and what's worse, is that they are likely to take it at face value. At the end of the day we are going to have another historical tragedy on our hands, as the great work by many historians and aspiring historians, is unraveled by moronic Hollywood writers who think that they can turn history into a television without so much as consulting anyone remotely knowledgeable on the time period. Julian Goodare would be outraged I'm sure! If you're going to do period pieces, do your research. Use successful shows like Rome, The Tudors, Downton Abbey and The Borgias as examples of how to properly do history. I can tell just from watching the trailer that virtually no research was done into the costuming, or MQOS' life in general. It's time to dig into my vault of Early Modern Scottish knowledge to try and right these wrongs. I died a little on the inside.

I'll let you watch the trailer and decide for yourselves, but I am pretty sure that I am not going to be the only one who feels this way.





Anyway friends, I need to go and figure out how to be an adult who has a day off. I also need to work on a post about my recent St. Lucia vacation, which is proving to be more difficult than I imaged. I hope everyone has an amazing long weekend!

xoxo
Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment